Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Gluten Free Rice Flour Waffles

I did it! At last I made a rice flour waffle that tastes like a waffle and doesn't totally crumble! The secret ingredient? Apple Sauce! I have been working on this recipe for months, so I hope you like it. It is not the healthiest recipe out there, but the extra egg and the oil help keep the waffles moist and cakey.

For those of you who are not bound to a gluten free diet, use whatever flour you want, half the apple sauce, one egg, and no oil. Enjoy!

Gluten Free Rice Flour Waffles

1 3/4 cups rice flour (I use a combination of white and brown rice flours)
1 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon of salt
2 eggs
1/2 cup oil
1 cup apple sauce
water, added 1/4 cup at a time
cinnamon, honey, vanilla, or almond extract

Preheat your waffle maker to your favorite setting.

Mix the rice flour, baking powders, salt, and cinnamon if using it. Add in the apple sauce, egg, and oil. At this time, add any honey or extracts you want. Mix thoroughly, adding a 1/4 cup of water at a time until the batter is smooth and the consistency of pancake batter.

Pour the batter 2 cups and a time into the waffle iron, cook, and enjoy!



Serving: 1 waffle, 1/4 cup of batter
227 Calories, 8g fat, 1g dietary fiber, 3g sugar, 3g protein

8 comments:

  1. I see a cookbook in your future!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, this worked really well for me. I subbed melted butter for the oil as I only had olive oil.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Harrow- I'm glad you made it work :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I used melted coconut oil. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tried these this morning for a quick breakfast and LOVED them!! I used both Honey and Cinnamon with a little Vanilla Extract. I plan on pre-making the dry ingredients in baggies to quicken my mornings!! Thanks for working on this recipe!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wheres the print recipe option? Looks like a good recipe but printing all 3 pages is bad for the environment and wastes space in the recipes folder

    ReplyDelete
  7. Best rice flour waffle recipe I’ve tried yet! I used beef tallow as the oil and also sprinkled in some clove, nutmeg, and all spice. I might try milk in place of water next to to see what happens. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tried the milk. Do NOT do that. It was awful.

      I have started adding 2 tblsp of sugar to the mix. It makes the waffles much softer with a slight crisp around the edges.

      We’re really enjoying this recipe. Thanks for sharing!

      Delete