Thursday, February 24, 2011

Balsamic Broccoli Rabe with Carrots

When I was in college, my friends and I would host a lot of pot luck parties. For every party, guests would bring desserts or appetizers, so as a responsible host, I started making vegetable dishes for each of the pot lucks. I wanted to make sure my friends were getting a balanced meal. Now veggie dishes are some of my favorite things to make. Vegetables can be very versatile and delicious.


In this picture I used regular broccoli, I was all out or broccoli rabe.

This is a recipe I came up with recently. I am a big fan of broccoli rabe and am always looking for ways to use it. You can definitely make this recipe with any type of broccoli, but I like the broccoli rabe best. The strong flavor does not get over powered by the balsamic. For this recipe you can also dial up or down the amount of garlic and balsamic vinegar to your taste. If you want to add this dish to pasta, add a little more oil and vinegar.

12 oz broccoli rabe
3 oz carrots, julienned
4 cloves garlic
3 tablespoons olive oil
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
salt and pepper to taste

Bring a large pot of water to boil. Blanch the broccoli rabe in the boiling water by putting it in for 2 to 3 minutes. Start the timer as soon as the broccoli rabe is in, the water does not have to return to a boil. When the time is up, drain the broccoli rabe and cut it into sections. I keep the hot water for pasta or rice if I am cooking either of them as well. It has nutrients that have leaked out of the broccoli rabe.

Meanwhile, heat the olive oil to medium high in a small pan. Add the garlic and saute for a minute or until it begins to smell good. Reduce the heat to medium and add the carrots, balsamic vinegar, salt, and pepper. Stir frequently and saute until the carrots are a desired softness. Pour the carrots over the broccoli rabe and serve. This can be served hot, room temperate, or cold and tastes great the next day, too!




Serves 3
102 Calories, 9g fat, 3g dietary fiber, 3g sugar, 5g protein

No comments:

Post a Comment